Monday, May 17, 2010

March 19, 1899: US conquer of Puerto Rico


A citizen of Puerto Rico tells the tale of how the United States gained conrol of Puerto Rico and what is was like to live under Spanish then American rule.

Many years ago, the people of Puerto Rico, including myself and my ancestors, bathed under the rule of our foreign mother country, Spain. Under their power we became a culture… one Puerto Rico people. We adopted their Catholic religion and their Spanish language as well as many other customs that are rooted in Spanish History. Despite these connections, we Puerto Ricans suffered beneath high taxes imposed on us by our Spanish leaders.

Today I can greatly look at my home of Puerto Rico as one of great pride and success as we can finally live without the Spanish breathing over our backs; controlling us with their high taxes. Our independence from Spain was strongly impacted by the American intervention and now we are held within the palm of the United States. What will they do with us? It is not certain; however, I am very certain that I am experiencing more freedoms than I can ever remember. Many years ago, the people of Puerto Rico, including my ancestors, and myself bathed under the rule of our foreign mother country, Spain. Under their power we became a culture… one Puerto Rico people. We adopted their Catholic religion and their Spanish language as well as many other customs that are rooted in Spanish history. Much of our culture has come from Spain, and I believe it will always be this way.

Despite these connections, we Puerto Ricans suffered beneath high taxes imposed on us by our Spanish leaders. Tariffs were also extremely high, and Spanish rule was harsh. I will always remember the burdens of the libreta system. This system made it so that laborers such as myself, made into serfs, could not leave our plantations without receiving permission from our employers. We had to document our every move in a notebook, and our employers knew everything about our lives. Native Puerto Ricans were extremely unhappy with thus system and the other drawbacks of Spanish rule, and began to plot rebellions against Spain.

These rebellions caused the Spanish American war, and I can still recall when the Americans first intervened. Last year, on July 21, 1898, the Americans left Cuban shores with 3,000 marines. Of course they were on their way to help us get rid of our Spanish leaders, yet many Puerto Ricans did not support our breaking from Spain. Because of this, many Puerto Ricans were ready to fight the Americans back of our own shores. These Puerto Ricans were accepting of the amendments that Spain was attempting to make with us such as giving Puerto Rico political autonomy. Thankfully though, others still were all for gaining independence and wished to welcome the American troops with flags of independence.

The United States did not come face to face with a peaceful settlement because the Spanish soldiers fought with force in cities such as San Juan and Coama. They fought hard, and later in August, the Americans were prepared to fight for us again, as compatriots. Although the people of Puerto Rico evacuated their homes, a greatly anticipated combat never took place. This attack was to be one of great destruction, but instead the weak Spanish signed an armistice between themselves and the United States.

It took many months, from August to December, for a solution to finally be created. For months we Puerto Ricans sat on our toes waiting to hear news of our fate. Our nation of Puerto Rico was sadly not invited to take place in the negotiations, but in Paris, a treaty was signed which handed our homeland into the hands of the United States. Finally Spain was no longer our controller and we were recognized and supported by our protectors. It is said that Spain asked France to control and take the peace treaty into their hands, and I can only wonder and laugh at the poor Spanish who could do nothing for themselves. How they could ever rule us? I do not know, and I cannot believe that for such a long time we were under the rule of cowards.

Where is Puerto Rico headed now? I cannot say. I am not very happy with the military occupation of our island, and the American attempts to “Americanize” us. Despite all my grievences with the Spanish, I am proud of the culture they have given us, and I do not want this to be taken away from me. There is much uncertainty within our future; the Americans might like having us as their territory but I doubt we Puerto Ricans will stand for this. But I am thankful for the Americans at this moment. Only time will tell what our future will bring, but for right now I can only be thankful that I am free from the rule of the Spanish.


Santiago Ramirez

No comments:

Post a Comment